Sunday, September 7, 2008

I met a traveller from a distant land...

I have browsed through the pictures of a friend who has just returned from a one month trip through south Asia...
They are simply amazing, I would put a link to them, but I think they are private, on facebook. I loved the Tiger Temple. I have fell in love with the great cats that linger there in the mid-day sun...

I have been appalled by the SPIDER dish (they cooked and ate huge spiders), by the snake wine (a bottle with a type of alcohol in which they had huge, dead, coiled snakes), by the crocodile farm near the hotel.

+ for the cats, ----for the other nightmarish creatures.
Benoit, apparently the spiders and snakes are a common reality in those parts of the world!!

I've realized (watching the photos)that I'm not even tempted. I am much too conservative to be able to adapt in such a place. I am not even tempted by south east Asia as a tourist destination.
I am perfectly fine with my cat back home, though I would actually fly to the exact location for a few days spent at the Tiger Temple.

I started wondering whether it is really relevant what type of character a person has by merely considering the desire to explore and acquaint themselves with other cultures.

I always saw myself as a traveller, I thoroughly enjoy the theme of the voyage, be it theoretically or practically; but not to all extent possible, apparently. Am I missing an important part of life's experiences behaving this way?...

PS: Ozymandias by PB Shelley
'I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.'

No comments: