Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Issues no 2

This is the no 2 of the series of 'Issues bothering me'...It concerns the fact that I find it very hard (sometimes impossible) to accept that things can unfold in a different manner than I want them to unfold.

Long story short: I can't accept defeat. I have a moment (more moments, or even a considerable amount of time for certain things in my life:)) ) when I cannot possibly conceive the fact that I cannot have what I want, when I want it or how I want it. Might seem a little bit frightening, I admit. That's why the title is 'Issues'.

I can, usually, find ways around these 'defeats' - they are only defeats if I perceive them as such and I can actually make a drama out of failing the driving test the first time:).

Speaking of which: I got a little scared picturing me at the wheel. I hope I will not have any major accident during my first year of driving, otherwise I will probably find it very difficult to get a decent third party insurance premium:)).

Paranthesis closed.

I am curious whether this second issue of mine really makes a 'control freak' out of me, or is it something perfectly normal, something that each and any of us faces in certain moments of their existence...

This issue of mine might have roots in the fact that I was somehow programmed (since I was very small) to always fight for what I wanted. I was told that there is no such thing as 'I cannot', there is only a 'I do not want to' and that it was not acceptable.

One of my former counsellors in PwC made a statement about me when she left the Company: looking back on some of our common assignments and seeing me 'in action', so to say, she said that the thing that she liked most when working with me was that, I quote:
'If the door is shut in your face, you get in using the window and still get want you went there to get'.

I took it as a compliment, might be problematic, though:)) (and the translations get from bad to worse:)), this is literally what she said in Romanian).
This 'compliment' can easily turn me into a freak, I need to carefully consider whether this 'issue no 2' is not something I want to amend... as it tends to get me 'fixed' on an issue, because it has a close link to issue no 1, when I actually can ignore everything else around a certain, current and stringent 'problem'.

0. Something is not right
1. Define the problem
2. Consider alternative ways to tackle the problem
3. Choose a way to tackle the problem
4. If successful, move to the next problem definition
5. If unsuccessful, try first another way to tackle the problem, if ok, follow 4, if failure, think outside the box and re define the whole approach, if success, follow4, if failure, fix on the problem and be stuck ...forever:)
6. the funny thing: when step 0 is multiple and the loop goes on until the fixing stage

Major issue: when a significant event in my life or a particular/specific circumstance gets me fixed on it ('it' can vary from men-significant and stringent- to professional-significant and stringent :)) ).
Chances for me to get over it: virtually inexistent:).

1 comment:

marcel said...

eeu cred ca poti trece peste orice, acum mai trebuie sa crezi si tu ;)
iti sugerez sa vezi filmul "Into the Wild"